Best Visitation Rights Lawyers and Attorneys in Culver City, CA

How to File for Visitation

If you are the legal parent of a child and have not successfully reached an agreement concerning visitation arrangements with the child’s other parent, you have two options for how to proceed. First, you and the other parent may work with a mediator who can strive to help you reach an agreement. Alternatively, you can file for a hearing with the court to give you an order that grants you visitation.

To file for visitation through the court, you will need to complete a Request for Order form (RFO). You will be required to include some personal information, such as the names and addresses of the parties, as well as the specific visitation rights you are seeking. You will then need to file the RFO with the county clerk. During the visitation hearing, you and the child’s other parent will have the opportunity to present your case, providing the judge with evidence and witness testimonies. After the judge reviews all the evidence, the court will make a ruling based on the best interest of your child. The court will then issue a visitation order with guidelines that both parties must obey.

  • Each parent’s history of drug use, alcohol abuse, or domestic violence can and will factor into the court’s decisions

In some cases, the court may award supervised visitation or may deny visitation altogether. With modern technology, there is also the possibility of virtual visitation, via webcam, video phone, or computer software. When you work with a lawyer at our firm, you have the benefit of our experienced legal representation as we assert your rights as a parent or grandparent. Your well-being is important to our team, and one of our child visitation attorneys will work closely with you to identify and achieve your goals.